Chuck's Cool Reviews and Info

Projects, news and stuff going on. Pictures link is to the right.

Nvidia Geforce Now has been around for a little while, but never had a client for Linux. Geforce Now is awesome because it allows you to play games on non-gaming capable computers, so that jalopy that you have had for years that does everything else fine, can acceptably play the latest games now too.

Nvidia just recently announced that Geforce Now can be run on Chrome computer devices (Chromebook typically) which are outfitted with very basic hardware.

Chrome devices are just modified Linux systems. Soon after the announcement of Geforce Now on Chrome devices, we have details on how to run it within Linux and I have tried it on my Linux Mint machine and it works perfect and is pretty awesome.

Check out the details here:

Even if you don't have a Linux computer, you could run this on your Mac or Windows computer and avoid installing the Geforce client.

One interesting thing here is that (even if paying for the Geforce Now service) you could play the latest and greatest games and save a ton of money over constantly chasing the hardware requirements of the latest games.

Geforce Now doesn't work with all games, so check their list to know what you can and can't play.

I had to do this for my Arlo cameras. (Used to like them, but they are now junk and I don't recommend them any more) PiHole was not blocking anything with relation to them, however they were not functioning properly while the PiHole was involved.

The cameras were not recording movement and the Arlo web interface was telling me that my base station could not communicate with the internet after login and about a minute of login time. If I disabled the PiHole for 5 minutes, the Arlo cameras and web interface would work fine.

There appears to be no way to set a static IP address and static DNS servers on the Arlo, so no way to set a different DNS server just for Arlo and bypass the PiHole.

Here is how I fixed it.

Using a typical router for DHCP for all clients

Configure router so that the client you want to have no PiHole interference on is getting a static IP

Create a new group in PiHole in group management Find the client IP in group management clients and add it to the above created group

Create a regex white filter for all, e.g. .+

Add that filter to the above created group only under Group Management | Domains

That's it. It will take effect immediately.

enter image description here I noticed like others have that my original Bose model QC35 headphones would not pair. I beat on the switch all I want, but no ready to pair voice.

I took it apart following youtube instructions and did the rubbing alcohol fix. That seemed to work while the headphones were apart, but once I put the back plate back on, no go.

So now, I take the back plate on and off and the consistent problem is that it will pair all day with the cover plate off, but never while the cover was on. Eureka! We have a switch throw problem.

So I took out my drill and a sharp bit and proceeded to mangle the cover to test this theory. Note that I didn't do a good job following the angle of the switch, but it is functional. You could do a much better job, but faced with the death of a nice older set of otherwise functioning headphones, I didn't take much care and mangled away. A good thing to do from here would be to use a black sharpie to color in the edge so that it is not as noticeable. I hope this gets out there and helps somebody with the same issue.

Update June 10, 2020: This fix worked for me for a bit, but the switch was rotating inside the headphone assembly. I decided to remove the plastic power switch that is normally used entirely. This leaves a tiny power switch that is not handy to get to inside the headphone. I am now accessing it through the enlarged hole and using a pen to reach it and power the headphones on and pair bluetooth that way. It is not ideal, but it is working fine for me.